Sunday, March 31, 2013

Breakfast Pancake Roll

My mom is in town for Easter and I wanted to make a fun breakfast. I saw this recipe in Sandra Lee's March/April issue of her magazine. I thought it looked fancy, which I always like when I have people over. It was really fast and easy to make. The original recipe called to use Egg Beaters for the eggs, but we used just regular eggs and scrambled them. I also decided to use diced ham in the eggs instead of bacon. I think next time I will use the bottom side of the pancake for the outside because it is a little browner. I think the presentation would be better with a browned outside. It was really good though. A nice way to get a whole plate into one dish. You could always switch it up to and make it spicier by adding peppers and onions in the eggs. Although I was not 100 percent happy with the presentation I did like the dish nonetheless.

Breakfast Pancake Roll
Adapted from Sandra Lee

1 1/2 cups pancake mix
1 1/4 cups milk
10 eggs, divided
2 teaspoons sugar
1 package diced ham
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
Maple syrup

Preheat oven to 450 degrees.

Line a 10 x 15 inch jelly roll pan with parchment paper and spray with cooking spray.

Stir together pancake mix, milk, 2 eggs, and sugar. Pour into jelly roll pan and bake for 8-10 minutes.

Cool for 5 minutes.

Invert cake onto a kitchen towel. Carefully peel parchment paper off of cake. Starting with short end roll up cake, jelly roll style in the towel and set aside.

With remaining eight eggs cook in skillet with salt, pepper and diced ham until scrambled. Add cheese and cook to melt.

Unroll cake and spread egg mixture evenly onto cake. Roll cake back up jelly roll style.

Serve with maple syrup.

Print Recipe

This recipe is linked on:  Foodie Friday, Saturday Show and TellShow and Tell SaturdayStrut Your Stuff Saturday, Super Saturday Show and TellKitchen Fun with my 3 Sons,  Foodie riday Weekend Potluck Think Pink Sunday,  Cream of the Crop,Melt in your Mouth Mondays,  On the Menu Monday,  Show me Your Plaid Mondays


1 comment:

  1. I think this looks so interesting. What a great recipe to use all different flavor combos. Thanks so much for linking to the Weekend Potluck last week!
    ~Kim

    ReplyDelete