Sunday, January 20, 2013

Oxtail Soup

For some reason thinking about this soup brings me back to grade school and playing the Oregon Trail on the computer. You always wanted more oxen so that you could fill up the covered wagon with more food and supplies. Well I did anyway. That game was the best! Oxtail, I found, is a great way to flavor soup. I didn't realize that is was made more for flavoring than eating. There was not too much meat to take off the bones to put back into the soup.

 I did really like the deep rich flavor that the oxtails gave the soup. Not a flavor that can be mirrored by using beef broth anyway. This is a great soup for the weekend because it takes some time to build the flavors.

Oxtail Soup

2 pounds oxtails, trimmed of excess fat
8 cups water
4 beef bouillon cubes
Salt
Pepper
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon celery salt
16 ounces frozen vegetables
1 14 ounce can diced tomatoes
1/2 package Reames Frozen Noodles

In a large pot add water and oxtails. Bring to a boil. Simmer 3 hours.

Take out the oxtails and cut off any meat. Shred meat and put back into soup.

Then add the remaining ingredients besides noodles and simmer another hour.

Meanwhile, cook noodles according to package directions.

Add noodles to the soup just before serving.



1 comment:

  1. My mom always made this soup and now I make it for my son but instead of the noodle I put in diced potatoes. Thanks for this post, I've seen a lot of oxtail recopies and they sink in comparison to this one

    ReplyDelete