Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Creamy Mushroom Marsala Pasta with Garlicky Bread Crumb Topping

I have gone back and looked at this recipe so many times because I thought it sounded and looked sooo good. But then I always found something else to try instead. I finally decided to try it though tonight. Chicken marsala is one of my favorite dishes. I just love the flavors of the marsala wine with the mushrooms and garlic. A lot of my favorite flavors in one dish. I think I just added a new favorite flavor though......garlicky bread crumb topping. Ohhh my! What a great flavor enhancer for pasta. Not the healthiest addition but if you are going for pasta in the first place who cares!

This pasta came out really good but I was bummed I did not have more sauce. It was my fault though because the recipe called to save a cup of pasta water ( a Rachael Ray signature) and I forgot. I have made several pastas of hers and she always says to save the pasta water and I always forget to get it out before I drain it. So I am sure if I saved the water like I was supposed to it would have been saucier. I included the water addition below and bolded it. Maybe you will not forget like me!

Creamy Mushroom Marsala Pasta with Garlicky Bread Crumb Topping
Adapted from Rachael Ray

3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
6 tablespoons butter, divided
1 pound sliced bella mushrooms
Salt
Pepper
1 tablespoon flour
1/2 cup marsala wine
1 cup chicken broth
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 pound linguine
1 cup panko bread crumbs
1 tablespoon minced garlic
Parsley

Bring a large pot of water to a boil.

Meanwhile in a large skillet heat 1 tablespoon olive oil to medium high. Melt 3 tablespoons of butter. Add mushrooms and cook until golden about 10 minutes.

Season mushrooms with salt and pepper. Sprinkle mushrooms with flour then add marsala. Reduce for 1 minute. Add broth and cream and simmer to thicken.

Once water is boiling add pasta and cook according to package directions.

Meanwhile, heat remaining olive oil over medium heat and melt the remaining tablespoons of butter. Add the panko and garlic and cook until fragrant. Remove from heat and cool.

Before draining pasta reserve 1 cup of pasta water and set aside. 

Toss pasta with water and sauce. Top with breadcrumbs and parsley.

Print Recipe

This recipe is linked on:  Wednesday ExtravaganzaWhat's Cooking WednesdayCast Party WednesdayWhimsy Wednesday


2 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh that looks so good! Pasta and breadcrumbs! It doesn't get much better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh this one looks so delicious and comforting! Thank you for sharing this at Wednesday Extravaganza - can't wait to see the deliciousness you share this week :)

    ReplyDelete