Monday, December 31, 2012

Sort of Hoppin' John


In the south it is a tradition to eat black eyed peas on New Years Day for good luck the rest of the year. We ate ours a day early. I have never had black eyed peas before and always thought they would not be good because I thought they looked funny. I feel like I have been saying that a lot lately! Just means I am getting more adventurous in my eating and cooking. Still no onions or seafood though. All in one week I added split pea soup, black eyed peas and biscuits and gravy to my like list. That's pretty good for me considering only a few short years ago I wouldn't think about trying anything I did not think I could possibly like.

I called this sort of hoppin' john because a traditional hoppin' john has bacon and onion in it. The recipe that I used I got from Plain Chicken. I liked the recipe because it was made in the slow cooker. Also it used ham, which I thought would be nice with the black eyed peas. I did add celery salt and garlic powder to the original recipe to add a touch more flavor. Overall it came out alright. Not my favorite recipe to date. Hopefully, even though we ate it a day early it will bring us some luck in the New Year anyway!

Sort of Hoppin' John
Adapted from Plain Chicken

1 pound dried black eyed peas
8 ounces diced ham
4 cups chicken broth
2 cups water
1 teaspoon celery salt
1 teaspoon garlic powder

Rinse black eyed peas and put in crock pot. Add all ingredients and cook on low for 8-10 hours.

Print Recipe

This recipe is linked on: Mix it Up MondaysMelt in your Mouth MondaysOn the Menu Monday,  Makin You Crave MondayYour Creative Time Out

No comments:

Post a Comment