Thursday, October 25, 2012

Spinach Manicotti

Cookbook Recipe #20

My mom gave me this series of cookbooks not to long ago. Each cookbook is designated for a certain type of dish. The books are all from the 80s so the dishes are all really classic. My type of recipes! I decided to make Spinach Manicotti for the first recipe out of the books in this series. Normally if I make manicotti or stuffed shells I would only do cheese. I have recently discovered that I like spinach so I have been trying to add spinach to things now that I typically would not in the past. So I decided to add it to the manicotti and it was really good.

I learned a new way of cooking pasta before baking for this recipe. It calls to bring water to a boil and pour the water over the manicotti noodles and let them sit for 5 minutes. The noodles get done enough to cook in the oven to finish off. I have never seen that before in a recipe so I was a little skeptical, but it came out great. I think I will start adding spinach to more of my pasta dishes.

Spinach Manicotti
Adapted from Famous Brands Pasta Dishes

8 Manicotti Shells
1 Jar favorite tomato sauce
1 Package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and pressed very dry
8 oz ricotta cheese
1/4 cup parmesan cheese
2 eggs, slightly beaten





Bring a pot of water to a boil.

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

In a large bowl place manicotti shells, cover with boiling water and let stand for 5 minutes. Rinse with cold water.

Combine ricotta cheese,spinach, parmesan and eggs together in a bowl and mix well.

Stuff manicotti shells with mixture and place in a baking dish. Cover with pasta sauce and bake for 45 minutes.




No comments:

Post a Comment