Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Cider Glazed Bratwurst with Butternut Mash

I get several food magazines in the mail every month, but I always tend to find more recipes that I want to make in the fall and winter month issues. I just really enjoy fall flavors. Like the apple cider glaze for the bratwurst in this recipe. The original recipe called to use chicken sausages, but I really like bratwurst and I thought the apple cider would give it a good flavor.
I was right, I really enjoyed the sweet flavor the apple cider gave the bratwurst. It was a great pairing with the butternut mash. Phil and I really enjoyed the mash. I always found it strange to add the apple with butternut squash, but it is a really good flavor combination. This was a great fall dinner. We will be filing this one away for sure!

Cider Glazed Bratwurst with Butternut Mash
Adapted from Everyday Food Magazine

2 teaspoons olive oil
1 pound bratwurst
3 cups apple cider
Salt
Pepper

1 small butternut squash, peeled and cut into 1 inch pieces
1 large russet potato, peeled and cut into 1 inch pieces
1 granny smith apple, peeled and diced into 1 inch pieces
1/3 cup Greek yogurt

In a large dutch oven heat oil over medium high heat.

Add bratwurst and cook until they are a deep golden brown, about 6 minutes.

Add cider and season with salt and pepper. Bring to a rapid simmer and cook about 30 minutes or until cooked through.

Meanwhile in a medium saucepan combine squash, apple and potato. Cover with water. Bring to a boil and cook until fork tender, about 15 minutes.

Drain vegetables and apple and transfer to a food processor. Process until smooth. Add yogurt and season with salt and pepper.

Serve with bratwurst.

Print Recipe








No comments:

Post a Comment