Monday, September 3, 2012

Wonton Soup


I think my favorite part of getting Chinese food is the soup. I love the Chinese soups; hot and sour, wonton, sizzling rice soup and egg drop. I have tried to make all but sizzling rice at home. The wonton always comes out the best.

My mom used to make this recipe at home once and awhile, I always loved it. She gave me the recipe when I went to college and I started making it a lot. It can be very tedious to make though. The soup itself only takes a few minutes, but putting together the wontons can take awhile. I feel like they do not hold a whole lot so you end up making a ton of them. You have to be very careful when you boil these not to over cook them. I have over cooked them a couple times and you end up with a really messy soup as the wontons all break open and spill out all the contents. The recipe calls for green onions to go in with the pork, but of course I leave those out. I'm sure it would be a good flavor addition, if you like that sort of thing!

Wonton Soup
Adapted from Betty Crocker

For the wontons:

1/2 pound ground pork, cooked
2 teaspoons soy sauce
1/2 teaspoon corn starch
1/4 teaspoon ginger
1/4 teaspoon salt
24 wonton skins


2 tablespoons soy sauce
6 cups chicken broth
2 cups water
1 tablespoon chicken bouillon
1 cup spinach, torn into small pieces

In a bowl combine cooked pork, soy sauce, corn starch, ginger, and salt and mix well. 

Meanwhile, in a large pot heat up chicken broth, water, soy sauce and chicken bouillon at medium heat. 

Spoon 1 teaspoon pork mixture into middle of each wonton skin. Moisten edges of wonton skin with water. Fold each skin in half to form a triangle. Press edges to seal. Pull bottom corners of triangle down and overlap slightly. Moisten one corner with water and pinch to seal. Set wontons aside. 

Once broth is heated up add spinach and bring to boil. Once boiling add wontons and reduce heat to a simmer. Simmer wontons for 2 minutes. 







3 comments:

  1. Delicious! I love your recipe for wonton soup! This is one of my favourite soups, but I've yet to try making it at home. I hope to try it out this winter (possibly with a little help from this recipe).

    Pinned.

    Stopping by from Must Try Monday (I posted #32, Trout w Almonds, Lemon, Butter, Parsley & Pepper)

    Amber @ The Cook's Sister

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks yummy! Thanks for linking up to Southern Sundays. To be chosen as a featured recipe please link back to the party so others can participate in the fun! Have a great weekend. Come back soon!

    ReplyDelete