Saturday, September 22, 2012

Spiced Apple Cake

I have a hard time trying to follow the food seasons. I tend to just make whatever sounds good to me. I want to try to start using ingredients when they are at their peak. Right now apples are at their peak and I have a ton of Honeycrisp (the best apple their is in my opinion) in my fridge. So, I am trying to come up with different things I can make with the apples. For a few years now I have saved and marked several recipes for apple cakes. I always pull out recipes for the apple cakes to make but never get around to doing so. Well  by golly this weekend I finally made it!

Phil's cousin was in town from Philly and the family was getting together to see him. I thought since I have so many apples I would finally make an apple cake. I mixed the Honeycrisp with Granny Smith in the cake. I feel like you always have to have some Granny Smith when baking otherwise the apples tend to taste bland. The recipe said to leave the cake in the bundt pan for 15 minutes before flipping it out onto a cooling rack to cool. Well 15 minutes is not long enough. A side of the cake crumbles apart when trying to flip because I think it was still to moist. Only good thing about this was that I got to try a taste before everyone tried it. So I would suggest leaving it in the pan at least 30 minutes before inverting it out. The cake still tasted great all the same, everyone said how good it was!

Spiced Apple Cake
Adapted from Giada De Laurentis

4 medium apples (I used 2 Granny Smith and 2 Honeycrisp) cored, peeled and sliced
1 1/2 cups maple syrup
3 eggs, at room temperature
3/4 cup brown sugar
2/4 cup vegetable oil
1 tablespoon vanilla
3 cups flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 tablespoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon ginger
1/2 teaspoon salt

Icing:

3 cups powdered sugar
6 tablespoons cream cheese, softened
6 tablespoons milk

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. 

Liberally butter and flour a 10 inch bundt pan.

In a large bowl mix together the apples, maple syrup, sugar, eggs, oil, and vanilla. 

In another bowl mix together flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, and salt. 

Mix the dry ingredients into the apple mixture. Pour into the prepared pan and bake until a toothpick comes out clean, about 55 to 60 minutes.

Let cool in pan 30 minutes. Then invert onto a cooling rack and cool an hour. 

Print Recipe



This is what I use to peel apples and it is amazing. I would cut my fingers to shreds trying to peel apples the traditional way. I would suggest this to anyone who bakes a lot with apples:




This recipe is linked on: Show and Tell SaturdayStrut Your Stuff SaturdayFoodie FridayFoodie Friends Friday




1 comment:

  1. This looks delicious! Love apples and finding new ways to use them. Thanks for sharing on Foodie Friends Friday! Please come back on Sunday to VOTE!

    ReplyDelete