Monday, September 17, 2012

Apple Crisp

I absolutely love fall. It is my favorite season for sure. The changing of the leaves, the crisp air, the fall candle scents, apples, pumpkins, cozy feeling, more soups! I cook comfort food all year but it always tastes so much better in the fall for some reason. I grew up going apple picking every year with my family. We would go for the afternoon and fill up a couple of bags of apples and always get apple cider and cherry cider. I looked forward to doing so every year. This year I was looking online for places to go apple picking close by our house and so many of the orchards are not even opening this year because of the weather this spring.

One of my favorite kinds of apples is the honeycrisp apple. They have so much flavor, they are unbelievably good! I load up on honeycrisp apples in the fall all of the time because I know they are out for only a short time. Phil loves my apple crisp that I make so I also made this for him last night. So I decided to post it tonight because it was too good to wait to post until I made it again.

I mixed granny smith apples and honeycrisp apples to make this apple crisp. This is the only recipe for apple crisp that calls for using cake mix for the topping. I really like the flavor the cake mix brings to this apple crisp. YUUUMM!!

Apple Crisp
Adapted from the Taste of Home

7 medium tart apples, peeled and thinly sliced
1 cup sugar
1 tablespoon flour
1 teaspoon cinnamon
Dash salt
1/4 cup water
1 9oz package yellow cake mix
3/4 cup quick cooking oats
1/3 cup butter, softened
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Place apples in a greased 2 1/2 quart baking dish.

In a small bowl mix sugar, flour, cinnamon, and salt. Sprinkle over apples. Drizzle with water.

In a large bowl combine cake mix, oats, butter, brown sugar, baking powder and baking soda. Sprinkle over apples.

Bake uncovered for 45-50 minutes.


Print Recipe

This recipe is linked on: Mix it Up MondaysMelt in your Mouth MondaysMust Try MondayOn the Menu MondayMouth Watering MondayMakin You Crave Monday

No comments:

Post a Comment