Monday, August 13, 2012

Lasagna Soup

I think my favorite kitchen tool is my dutch oven. I think everyone should own a good cast iron dutch oven. Any recipe that can be made in one pot is a keeper for me and the dutch oven is perfect for one pot meals, even from stove top to oven! I use mine for pasta sauce, soups, stews, chili, and for frying things. They are so versatile and they get really hot quick too.

In my dutch oven today I made Lasagna Soup. It was a rainy day here today, which is a great time for a good soup.....who am I kidding any time is a good time for soup for me! I think it is crazy when you need to use more than one box of chicken broth or stock for a soup recipe. Soup to me is supposed to be a cheap dinner and when you start needing multiple boxes of broth you have already spent over 4 dollars and you haven't added anything to it yet. So I will use one box and then I will add water and chicken bouillon or the new Flavor Boosts that they have. To me I feel like I am stretching my buck a little more. I felt like Rachael Ray again today turning lasagna into a soup!

Lasagna Soup
Adapted from Live Love Pasta

1 pound Mild Italian Sausage
2 tablespoons minced garlic
2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
2 tablespoons tomato paste
1 28oz can fire roasted tomatoes
4 cups chicken broth
2 cups water
1 Swanson's packet Chicken Flavor Boost
8 oz Radiatore

Toppings:

Ricotta cheese
Mozzarella Cheese
Parmesan Cheese

In a dutch oven, or large pot, brown Italian sausage over medium heat until no longer pink. Add tomato paste and minced garlic and cook for 3 minutes.

Add tomatoes, chicken broth, water. Italian seasoning and Flavor Boost. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to low and cook for 30 minutes.

Add pasta and cook until al dente, about 10-12 minutes.

Top with a mixture of cheeses of your choice.

Print Recipe



No comments:

Post a Comment