Thursday, July 26, 2012

S'more Bars


When I think of summer I think of S'mores and fried chicken....but for today I am just going to talk about S'mores.  I like how you can find so many different recipes for desserts that taste like S'mores. I have seen recipes for cakes, ice cream treats, bars, trifles...etc.  Some of my best memories involve S'mores. On one of our first dates Phil surprised me by taking me to my first drive-in movie. I had told him that going to the drive-in was on my "bucket list." He brought along this S'more maker that he had, that you can make S'mores indoors on a little sterno. We sat outside of the car in lawn chairs and made S'mores and watched the movie. It was such a fun a memorable night for me! 

So when I saw these S'more bars on Pinterest recently I knew I had to make them soon. I got the recipe off of the blog Country Cleaver. Her version said to cook the marshmallows on the stove, but when I made Rice Krispie Treats growing up I always melted the marshmallows in the microwave. I would much rather try to get gooey marshmallow off of a bowl than a a saucepan.

S'more Bars
Adapted from The Country Cleaver

1 10oz bag Mini Marshmallows
11/4 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips, divided
1 12oz box Golden Grahams Cereal
6 tablespoons butter
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
Non-stick cooking spray

Spray a 9x9 baking pan with cooking spray.

In a large microwavable bowl melt 6 tablespoons butter and mini marshmallows. I cooked it for 45 seconds, stirring after every 10 seconds. 

Stir butter and marshmallows until gooey and thick. Add in Golden Grahams and 1 cup chocolate chips. Mix well. 

Pour into baking pan. Top with 1/4 cup chocolate chips. Press down to make them more compacted. 

Allow to sit at least 30 minutes before cutting to be sure they are cooled. 




No comments:

Post a Comment