Sunday, July 15, 2012

Oven Fried Chicken


I love fried chicken....the crispy skin....yum! I have never made real fried chicken because I get nervous with the hot oil splattering all over the place. I do want to try to make real fried chicken someday, especially after I saw the chicken scene in the movie The Help. They always make it look like a breeze on TV. The chefs never look like they get splattered. I have tried to fry things before and I feel like I am jumping back from the stove more than I am standing at it.

When I am craving fried chicken I make an oven fried version. I think the oven fried version tastes just as good as the fried version, and it is better for you to. For this recipe I like to marinate the chicken in buttermilk overnight or at least 8 hours. I think it helps keep the chicken extra moist. This is Phil's favorite recipe that I make. If he looks in the fridge and sees the buttermilk he always gets excited and asks if I am making the oven fried chicken. I think it is definitely one of my favorite recipes as well!

Oven Fried Chicken
Adapted from Taste of Home


1 whole chicken, cut up
1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
1/2 cup cornmeal
1/3 cup parmesan cheese
4 teaspoons dried parsley
3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon onion salt
Buttermilk
1 tablespoon butter

Place cut up chicken in a large bowl. Pour in enough buttermilk to cover the chicken completely. Refrigerate overnight or at least 8 hours.

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

In a large Ziploc bag place mix all the dry ingredients. Place chicken in the bag and shake to coat completely.

Place a cooling rack on a cookie sheet. The cooling rack will help the get the chicken crispy underneath while cooking. Place chicken on cooling rack and bake for 10 minutes. Melt the butter in microwave. After the chicken has been in oven for 10 minutes drizzle with melted butter. Finish baking 30-40 minutes until juices run clear.



No comments:

Post a Comment